Ok. Yesterday. We had tried previously to go to a US Embassy Certified doctor for Jada's medical checkup, but didn't yet have her passport (see previous posts). So, yesterday, with passport-in-hand (actually, passport- in-concealed under-the-shirt, only getting it if you beat me and take my clothes first pouch) we made our way to the doctor. First thing they said? "May I see her passport?" "YES YOU CAN!" This time we were prepared! After looking over many of the documents we had, they determined that Jada needed 6 (yes, SIX) vaccinations! Imagine our surprise when we had thought she was just going to be checked over! Then they informed us that they would need us to pay for everything in cash. So, I left the girls behind to get started and I hailed a tuk-tuk to take me to the nearest ATM. I asked the driver how much to take me to Khan Market and then back to the Dr.'s office. After a little clarification, we decided on 50 rupees. He was very helpful, took me right there, waited for me to get money and took me right back. I gave him 100 rupees and told him the rest was for him. He was very appreciative and thanked me a number of times (keep in mind here, that 50 rupees is just over $1). Anyway, I got back just in time to hear Jada screaming from the back room. Now, I'll be honest with you. Part of me thought, "Good, I conveniently missed the shots." In actuality,however, the shots had not even begun! She had just SEEN the 6 needles on the table and knew what was coming her way. Since she was screaming so much, the doctor wanted to do half the shots then and half later that day. I told her just to do them all now so we didn't have to come back and go through it all again. So, six shots later and we were done. Jada was still crying and whimpering UNTIL they gave her a sucker! Suddenly, life wasn't so bad anymore. :) Medical visit. Check.
Having the medical visit complete meant we could venture back to the US Embassy to file all of our paperwork (including medical report from the doctor). After waiting in line to temporarily hand over our cell phone and camera, we made it swiftly through the lines and had our turn at "the window." We had all the necessary paperwork and were asked to wait to talk to the lady at "the other window." We waited about 30 minutes and were called up. We had to answer questions about our adoption process and other standard stuff. Everything went well except for the fact that their printer was on the fritz, so they could not print off all the documents we needed for our top secret, sealed, uber-important file to be handed over to immigration so Jada can leave Delhi. SO, tomorrow morning we head BACK to the US Embassy to pick up the file. It shouldn't take long and everything has already been approved, so it is simply a "run in and grab the file" visit. No worries. US Embassy work. Check.
Ok, ok. now to the stuff that you just don't see every day. So, we went to visit Qtab Minar, which is a 7 story minar (tower of sorts) that was beautfully made and I believe is one of the oldest monuments in Delhi. It is quite an engineering feat, especially for the time. We spent some time there and then decided to go back to our bed and breakfast. We flagged down a tuk-tuk (because we love them so) and the driver looked somewhat like an Indian version of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. All white clothing, white beard, the whole works. So we agree on a price and he drives us about 200ft, around a corner stops, says something in Hindi, jumps out, and leaves. Now, we feel pretty darn safe here in India. We haven't felt vulnerable throughout our trip, but this just didn't feel right. I kept on thinking to myself, "Self, this just doesn't feel right." I knew if something would have happened, I would have thought, "Man, I KNEW something wasn't right, I should have left!" So, after about 2 minutes (which is a long time when you are in the back of a tuk-tuk in a odd neighborhood with no driver) I made an executive decision to abandon the tuk-tuk. The keys were still in it, so the choice was to either get out or to take that puppy for a spin, so I feel I chose wisely. We found a new driver after bargaining with and turning down another. As we began to drive I jokingly said to Diana as I looked out the tiny rear window, ""Step on it, he's following us!" and we both giggled. So, here we are, tooting along with this new driver who looked VERY VERY much like an Indian version of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, except he had CRAZY blue eyes. All of a sudden, at a stoplight, out of nowhere, Indian Gandalf appears next to us (inches away) yelling at our driver in Hindi! So, what does our driver do? He stops his tuk-tuk so they can argue more efficiently. Indian Gandalf then gets out of his tuk-tuk and comes into ours and starts yelling at all of us (but mainly the driver). They are inches from each other, Indian Mr. Burns and Indian Gandalf going at it. I couldn't understand a blasted word they said, but I knew they meant business. The one thing I did get was that our first driver had just stopped to get some more water. How was I supposed to know that!?!! So, they are in the middle of their verbal battle when suddenly, Indian Burns looks to me and says, "Tell him!" I'm thinking, "Tell him what?!!" So after a little motioning and careful "interpreting" I understand that the argument was over stealing customers. It seemed our first driver was accusing our second driver of coming by and stealing us out of his tuk-tuk. I tried to explain to him that he left and we didn't want to wait. At first, he wanted us to come back into his tuk-tuk. I wasn't sure what to do! I told him I was not going back to his tuk-tuk since I had now gone a fair distance in the new one. He wanted compensation for his "services", 20 rupees (of a total of 100 agreed upon for the trip). I said, "You only drove us around the corner. I will give you 10 rupees, but no more." He was not happy, but after we argued some, he reluctantly took it and left. After that, the trip was fine. No more problems, no more outraged tuk-tuk drivers who looked like famous people. I guess to add to the humor of this, you'd also have to understand that these tuk-tuks are not very fast. Most of the time, you could probably run beside one and keep up. So the image of Indian Gandalf "speeding" up beside us, out of the blue, waving his hand in anger, was just too much for words. Oh, and for our concerned family, at no time during this whole confrontation were we worried for our safety. We knew it would not come to blows or anything dangerous, Indian people are too easy-going for that. I guess the story has two morals. One, tuk-tuk drivers get thirsty like everyone else. Two, if your tuk-tuk driver reminds you of someone famous, just wait for a different one. Most awesome tuk-tuk driver argument EVER. Check.
Well, both of my girls are asleep, AGAIN, so I will wrap this up and head to bed myself. Tomorrow's plan? Pack, go get our sealed file from the US Embassy, do a little walking around at a market, relax, and prepare for our flight that leaves at 1:10am Thursday morning. I can't wait to see all of you guys and certainly can't wait to wrap my arms around my boys that I have been missing for 10 days.
Hugs and Kisses from Delhi (except those of you I don't know well, then "A Pleasant Handshake from Delhi" will have to do).
Nighty night from across the world!
Jeremy
Qtab Minar
More tuk-tuk pics
Jada and her first McDonald's ice cream cone!






5 comments:
Safe travels tonight. Can't wait to see you all. Love mom (that's grandma to you, Jada) xoxoxo
yea for coming home! happy traveling- and a peaceful flight! :)
What a story! : ) I hope and pray all goes well for the rest of your trip and that Jada loves sleeping on big airplanes for very long periods of time. : ) So happy for you guys and that you'll be home and all together SOON!!!
: ) Melissa
(Fellow Holt Thai Mama)
too funny and what a day!! safe travels!
hirally (holt mom)
I think she is so cute and 4th grade is glad you are back!I hope you are having lots of fun with her
we are realy glad you made it back safe. My mom loved the pictures just like I did.And that ice crean cone WOW she must of loved that.And tell me at school if she likes your dog please. I bet you she loves her two brothers.
Well thank you for telling us your blog name we all loved it and my uncle tery is in Africa well I think thats how you spell it bet any way he builds 8 wells in Africa a day can you believe that well bye have a wonderfull time with your new child from Africa.BYE well I think thats were she's from bye again. Maggie!
Post a Comment